QuickBooks 2018 To 2021 Upgrade
QuickBooks 2018 to QuickBooks 2021 Upgrade
Features like streamlined bank feeds, customer groups, automated statements, reminders and receipt management, and many others make QuickBooks 2021 worth your investment. With the release of this new version of QuickBooks, many users have decided to finally upgrade their accounting software. MyOnePro going to explore all process so you can learn how to upgrade QuickBooks 2018 to QuickBooks 2021.
Note: Since you’re upgrading from 2018 to 2021, we’re assuming that you purchased a one time QuickBooks license rather than a subscription for QuickBooks Desktop. However, we’ve still provided the steps for upgrading if you have a subscription of the same. After QuickBooks 2018 Discontinuation user should have to upgrade to the latest edition on urgent basis.
Steps for Users who Purchased a One Time License
Users who purchased a single time license for QuickBooks Desktop 2018 should follow the steps provided in this section. Also, you will have to purchase a new license for the 2021 edition of this accounting software. Without a new license number, you won’t be able to activate the accounting software.
Process Upgrading QuickBooks Desktop 2018 To 2021 Edition
To Upgrade QuickBooks Desktop 2018 to QuickBooks 2021, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the Help
- Click on Upgrade QuickBooks.
- Click on Upgrade now and Select the Version to which you want to upgrade your software.
- Select Upgrade Now.
- Mark ‘Keep old version on my computer’ if you’re planning to use the current version installed on your system.
- Click on Let’s Go.
- Once the installation files are downloaded, the upgrade process will begin. Install and Register the product.
QuickBooks has an inbuilt upgrade tool that can extract the activation details from the current edition of the software and use it to activate the new one. However, if the upgrade tool fails to activate your new version of QuickBooks, you’ll have to manually enter the product and license numbers.
If you can’t find your license and product numbers, follow the steps provided below:
- Log into your registered email ID.
- Find the Email from Intuit about product purchase.
- Copy the Product and License Numbers and use them to activate QuickBooks 2021.
Note: You need to purchase a new copy of QuickBooks 2021 if you purchased a one time license for QuickBooks 2018.
Steps for Users who Purchased a Subscription of QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks Desktop Subscription users are entitled to new versions of the accounting software. Once the software is upgraded, it is automatically activated because of the subscription service.
To upgrade QuickBooks 2018 to QuickBooks 2021, follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the Help
- Select Upgrade
- Click on Upgrade Now.
- Mark ‘Keep old version on my computer’ if you wish to use the current version even after the upgrade.
- Click on Let’s Go.
- Once the upgrade is finished, click on Open QuickBooks.
Upgrading the software can take considerable time. The time will increase if you have a slow internet connection. Users can also download the setup for the latest version of QuickBooks 2021 and install it to upgrade the accounting software. However, your preferences won’t be imported in the new version.
Some users have reported that they don’t receive any prompts for upgrading the software. To enable such prompts, follow the steps provided below:
- From the Edit menu, click on Preferences.
- Go to the General tab and click on My Preferences.
- Mark the ‘Bring back all one time messages’
- Click on Ok.
Now you’ll receive all the prompts related to new updates and upgrades made available by Intuit.
Convert QuickBooks 2018 Company File To QuickBooks 2021 Company File
Once you’ve upgraded the accounting software, you need to upgrade QuickBooks 2018 data to QuickBooks 2021 Data. This may sound complex, but luckily, Intuit has simplified the process for its users. You can do easily with QuickBooks Rebuild Data and verify tool .
Verify and Rebuild
It is always a good idea to run the rebuild tool to ensure that there are no errors in your company file and data. When upgrading the company file, this becomes essential.
To verify data in your company file, follow the steps provided below:
- From the File menu, click on Utilities.
- Select Verify Data.
If getting any issue you can check QuickBooks Company File Error troubleshooting guide .
Once the data is verified, you’ll receive messages on the basis of issues find. Here are the three messages with which you’ll be prompted:
- ‘QuickBooks detected no problems with your data’
- A Specific Error Message: In this case, you’ll have to resolve the QuickBooks Error.
- ‘Your data has lost integrity’: You need to rebuild the data to resolve the issue.
To rebuild a company file, follow the steps provided below:
- From the Files menu, select Utilities.
- Click on Rebuild Data.
- In the prompt for backing up company data, Hit Ok.
- Click on Browse and select the location to which you want to save the backup file.
- Enter a File Name for the backup file.
- Click on Save.
- Once you get the confirmation message that Rebuild has Completed, click on Ok.
You can verify the data once more to check for any additional errors. Also, you need to create a backup of QuickBooks company file before running the rebuild tool. The rebuild tool deletes transactions and then records them again. In this process, if anything goes wrong, you’ll have the option to revert back to a previous version of the company file and restore the accounting data.
Upgrade QuickBooks Company File To 2021
Before you begin, log all users out of the company file. In this process, you simply need to open up the company file in the new version of QuickBooks. This will automatically upgrade the company file. You don’t have to download any additional software to complete this action.
To upgrade QuickBooks company file from 2018 to 2021, follow the steps provided below:
- Launch QuickBooks 2021.
- Click on Open or Restore Company File. Same option is available through the file menu.
- Click on Open a Company File. Hit Next.
- Browse and select the company file which you wish to upgrade.
- Click on Open.
- Sign into the Company File.
- Click on Update Now.
- Hit Done.
We recommend that you create a backup of your company file before upgrading it. Once a company file is upgraded, it cannot be downgraded. This can present problems for some users who still wish to use an older version of the software.
QuickBooks 2018 Discontinued
The most important reason to upgrade QuickBooks 2018 to 2021 is that Intuit will discontinue services for QuickBooks 2018. What this means is that QuickBooks 2018 users will no longer receive important security updates and will not be able to access add-on services including Payroll live after May 31, 2021.
Although security updates may not be important for some users, access to add-on services may be vital. If you use any add-on service provided by Intuit for QuickBooks, then you should consider upgrading to the latest version of the accounting software.
To know more, you can get in touch with our experts at +1.800.301.4813 (Toll Free.)